Friday, November 28, 2008

Myopia

I'm sorry, but I had to stay up a few more minutes. After reading everything he'd written, I feel as though I should share a little...

Myopia (from Greek: μυωπία myopia "near-sightedness"), also called near - or short - sightedness, is a refractive defect of the eye in which collimated light produces image focus in front of the retina when accommodation is relaxed.

Myopia. There are things I want to see, but my eyes don't permit me so. (My neck muscles are cramping from sitting at a computer all day; and you know the easiest thing to do would be to relax, but that goes against my nature.)

The hummingbirds in the morning; I could hear them buzzing. Fighting like pirates with their natural swords over the sweet nectar of the crystalline feeder. Like a precious ruby of the desert, yet they knew not of the lack of supplement, like a jewel, that it brought. Instead they fought over its beauty. Its hollow beauty and insubstantial substance.

If you didn't know, that's why I wear my glasses now; so that I can see your face from far away. For me, four feet is quite the distance.

I've seen so much that I forgot to see without those glass implements. They help me a lot. Unfortunately they're fragile, and therefore my vision is fragile. Seeing across the plaza is fragile. Watching the faces go by is fragile. Staring up at a sky, finally filled with luscious thunder and lighting and clouds and a double rainbow, reflected onto itself and the clouds, churning like butter from the crepes I made is fragile. Regarde les colibris est fragile.

No comments: