Thursday, January 29, 2009

Want

I want them to see
The board on my mother's wall
That shows us the months
And how much we still owe
In my hand, check marks
For what we owe not 
Anymore.

I want them to hear
the creak my car groans
in cold frost breath
as to school I go
and hear me say
how we cannot pay
to have it fixed.

I want them to taste
the sweat tears and salt
of mine and mine own parents
who work and learn and try
just as i do
to succeed with what they still 
might have together.

I want them to see
the food not in my fridge
and cabinets empty of imagination.

I want them to see
my brother's past
and my possible future
and all that I have worked for.

I have come 
a distance greater than they
and proceeded to succeed
past their current point.

I want them to see me
for more than what
they think I am.

And I want to see
what they too 
have gone through.

1 comment:

Mitch said...

This is sad. but I know you are pretty optimistic so I'm ok with it.
It's weird for me to even imagine my parents like this. I don't think I can ever really understand what you've gone through with them.
But anyway, I loved it--it has the most raw emotion of anything I've read of yours, I think.
I love you.